Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Group 8 Communications

17 comments:

  1. Has anyone considered what they are doing for the assignment yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we need to look at what definitions of adult learning we want to use and then divide it up. Maybe each do a couple of slides.
    There are a couple of good definitions on the fsu.edu site. I

    Lindeman

    "Education is life--not a mere preparation for an unknown kind of future living…The whole of life is learning; therefore, education can have no ending. This new venture is called adult education--not because it is confined to adults but because adulthood, maturity defines its limits."

    Originally from Lindeman, E. (1926). The Meaning of Adult Education. New York: New Republic, 6.

    Bryson (1936)

    Cited in The Profession & Practice of Adult Education (1997)p.7: "...all the activities with an educational purpose that are carried on by people, engaged in the ordinary business of life."

    Originally from: Bryson, L.L (1936).Adult Education. Ney York: American Book Company

    Houle

    "Adult education is the process by which men and women (alone, in groups, or in institutional settings) seek to improve themselves or their society by increasing their skill, knowledge, or sensitiveness; or it is any process by which individuals, groups, or institutions try to help men and women improve in these ways. The fundamental system of practice of the field, if it has one, must be discerned by probing beneath many different surface realities to identify a basic unity of process."

    From: Houle, C. (1996). The Design of Education ( 2nd Ed.) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 41.
    Houle

    It looks at adult learning as a job or an institution among other things.

    At National-Louis University they have information and definition below:
    http://nlu.nl.edu/academics/cas/ace/facultypapers/StephenBrookfield_AdultLearning.cfm

    Adult learning is frequently spoken of by adult educators as if it were a discretely separate domain, having little connection to learning in childhood or adolescence. This chapter will examine critically this claim by exploring four major research areas (self-directed learning, critical reflection, experiential learning and learning to learn) each of which have been proposed as representing unique and exclusive adult learning processes.

    We just need to decide what direction we need to go.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am glad you found all that. I really can't help with this assignment. I made it clear that I don't like working in groups early in the semester, and I can't be bogged down right now with tedious assignments. I am gearing up for Mardi Gras 2012, anyways. The other "team member" can probably help you out. Everyone one else is working in pairs anyways, so you don't need me.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this is a joke. Karen hasn't posted yet. If you're okay with these three of the definitions, I'll do a slide on each one. See if you can find 2 more.

      Delete
    2. No. It isn't a joke. I just can't find time for this assignment right now. Besides, two slides is nothing. One of you should be able to knock it out with a quickness. I am overwhelmed already w/ the workload from another graduate class I am taking.

      Good luck

      Delete
    3. Not a problem! I hope Karen gets on board soon or you'll be stuck doing everything! Deadline is approaching!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, when you get this let me know what you want to do. You can refer to the above comments. How do you want to split this up? I"ll go ahead and do the opening slide and the ones on the three definitions I chose. Let me know if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am highly suspicious because every group has someone who can not help with the project. Is this a test?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to start my power point on google documents. I'll post it so that you can change it as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look, if caring was currency, I would be flat broke. The fact is, I just don't have the time/energy/effort for this assignment. I am always the one taking lead in assignments and getting the shaft in return. I am tired of it, so I am letting someone else take up the slack that I USUALLY always have to take. I think it is a nice change of pace, personally. And between lesson planning, planning for Mardis Gras, and these classes, I just don't have the time to contribute. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've sent an email to Karen and Dr. Lewis sharing my presentation on Google documents. It provides a link so that you can view and edit. I don't have your email Jay. If you'd like to view it and decide to participate, post your email.
    It only includes 7 slides plus title slide and reference page. I focused on three theories:
    Experiential Learning
    Andragogy
    Adult Learning Characteristics (CAL) Model

    I will submit tomorrow after I rework the refernce page if I don't hear from anyone.
    Thanks guys and Jay have a great Mardi Gras.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have completed three slides on definitions of adult learning and discussed three different theories of adult learning. It would be great if someone could contribute one more learning theory before I post tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be publishing today. I have added another slide on Active Learning with a video clip from you tube. Any one have any last bits to add?

    ReplyDelete